Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Synecdoche



Synecdoche: A form of metaphor in which the part stands for the whole, the whole for a part, the genus for the species, the species for the genus, the material for the thing made, or in short, any portion, section, or main quality for the whole thing itself (or vice versa).


BB

P.S. In praise of Google. I remember I had learned the name of this literary device when I was 13 or so (even remembered the example given "All hands on deck"), but of course forgotten the name. Google be priased.

P.P.S. Do I need a better camera? These aren't great pictures as such, but the cell phone allows me to take them without anyone noticing.

P.P.P.S. I loved how these strollers stood silent, whereas with their occupants the room would be filled with all kinds voices, crying, laughing... I also liked how each stroller is personal - a toy in the undercarriage, a drinking bottle on top, a pair of gloves... By the way, this night the stroller parking was only half full!

Final P.S. I may have committed a horrible blunder... I believe this is metonymy, the use of a word for a concept with which the original concept behind this word is associated. I hope my high school English teacher is not reading this blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, where was this taken? And was there a Bugaboo Bee in the midst of it all?! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was thinking of this! In fact not, rather strange, since has become a Bugaboo town... The only way I can explain it is that this was a university building, and university types still seem to be loyal to the McLaren (left wing ideals? tighter budgets...) As you get into other child-friendly areas, the Bugaboos sprout like mushrooms... BB

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your need for taking pictures without being noticed. It's true though that cellphones cameras are, well... crap. A solution I adopted: use a small point and shoot camera (may I recommend the lumix range from panasonic?), spot your "victim", point the camera in a slightly different direction, and just before shooting, shift the camera to your subject very rapidly. It works most of the times.
cheers,
Mia

Anonymous said...

I do have a small point and shoot - not as good as the Lumix - there mere must be something in the technique of blending in though that you've mastered... Have you ever been accosted afterwards by an angry victim? BB

Anonymous said...

No, not yet. Maybe,as a woman, I am perceived as less threatening than a man, I suppose. Though you must have noticed that I don't take that many street shots! ;)

Anonymous said...

I saw the word synecdoche written somewhere just yesterday and thought what a lovely word but then couldn't wrap my brain round the meaning quite. Still can't.

Anonymous said...

But how do you pronounce it? I learned yesterday I've been pronouncing dilettante my whole life. As a committed dilettante this was quite a blow to my identity.

Anonymous said...

Apparently it's something like sy-neck-doe-key.

But now I'm worried -- how is dilettante pronounced then?

BB

Related Posts with Thumbnails