Friday, March 14, 2008

New words, same guilt. Or The new carbs

Just read this phrase in the newspaper, "carbon indulgence".

referring to someone who was trying to design an environmentally
friendly home but allowed himself the indulgence
of importing the wind turbines from Finland
- saving electricity but using so much to transport them
to Chicago - are you following this?


What is next? Carbon guilt? Carbon envy?

I had just caught up with the idea of "carb indulgence" and "carb guilt", where carb refers to carbohydrates. When did the staples of my childhood, pasta and bread, become a guilty indulgence, to be savored like cake? I don't know, but it happened.

Of course I grew up on chapatis and vegetables ,
so for example the idea of eating chapatis
with
chapatis does seem rather odd.
Italian readers' opinions?
Would you call pasta and bread a staple,
or was this part of the Internationalization/ vulgarization
of Italian food where the concept of pasta as the primo
was lost and it became the main?



Perhaps it is our age. We are well intentioned, well informed, but utterly incapable of doing anything other than feeling guilty about our incapacity.

OK, I'm talking about myself.

BB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but i truly have carbon guilt! i am so green i have olive skin..:) BUT i catch planes like other people take cabs...(seriously i wa sthinking about it the othe rday...)
nancy

Anonymous said...

ouch, what a difficult subject! If I were to start thinking seriously about these things, I'd spend half of the time feeling really, really bad about everything I do. Life is hard enough...
Pasta: to me, a staple (obviously). As a primo, or a main, this is not an issue anymore. Now that I think of it, I have some delicious pappadums I could fry for dinner!!
xxx
Mia

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of it. Salmon but not Atlantic. Beans but not flown in fro Kenya. Bring back the good old days I say.

(Very interesting blog you have here - I like your style...)

Anonymous said...

Mia - Thanks for absolving me of this lingering guilt!

Mallika - thanks for dropping by! Indeed, too much guilting going on in this world! Too little fun!

xoxo

BB

Related Posts with Thumbnails