Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Serenade to Myself

Yesterday on my commute from New York to Boston I launched iTunes to listen to music while I worked. I used to do this often, but these days work in silence, except while on trains or buses, since it not only blocks out sounds but transports the mind.

For reasons unknown, I decided to type Serenade into the search box, and thereby created this play list for myself. It has its oddities, but really worked quite well.

Especially startling and pleasing was the transition from the Mozart Wind Serenade to the Serenade from Shostakovitch String Quarter No. 15, to Frank Sinatra and the Moonlight Serenade, to Dvorak's Serenade.

There don't seem to be that many serenades in popular music, at least by explicit name.

It might have been one of those "you had to be there to appreciate it" moments...

BB

P.S. What incredible articulation Sinatra has -- he takes as much care with his consonants as the best singers in lieder...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice to be serenaded to...even if it is to yourself...;))

RD said...

I know -- and can even surprise myself sometimes! BB

Related Posts with Thumbnails