Sunday, September 20, 2009

Venice Biennale

At last, long overdue, a few images on the Venice Biennale. I wish I had more to say... Having been for the 8 years, there is purely the sportive aspect: will, grit, endurance, surivival (you can imagine the t-shirt -- I survived number 53!). Having said that, this year didn't seem to me quite up to previous years. My own yardstick is how infrequently I was tempted to reach for my camera to create a mental cue card for a fascinating work of art. Having said that, it's big (BIG), so there is always something worth seeing.

But first, taking a step back, way, way back, here's a few images from Pompei. This was the second time I visited and I enjoyed it even more than last time. I'm always captivated by the decorative motifs -- timeless:



Somehow I had never visited the amphitheatre. Well here it is:


And now Venice: Tomas Saraceno "Galaxies forming along filaments..."


Susan Hefuna, "Building" (she works on onion-skin type paper, layering images)



Hans-Peter Feldmann, "Shadow Play"



Sadamasa Motonaga, "Water work"


Mona Hatoum, who I first saw at the Biennale four years ago was back at the Fondazione Querini Stampalia. I wish I had taken more pictures. Much of the collection is decorative 19th C art, where she had brilliant mixed her work into the collection, subtly and subversively. Then she had some newer work on display as well. This cloud of barbed wire was amazing to look at:


Now I've got to get back to work... cooking work that is...

BB

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails