Saturday, February 21, 2009

Six of six -- tagged!

I was tagged by Mette of ungtblod for a six of six: "Open the 6th picture-folder on your computer, open the 6th photo and blog it. Write something about it." Wonderful invite. So here we go:


Many things about this picture. Every weekday at about 6.30 am I would walk from home to work. It was about a 35 minute brisk walk which I enjoyed. It was early and there was rarely anyone on the street for most of the way, even in Central London. After a while, I even began enjoying the moody sky that often greeted me in the morning. In an entire year of commuting to work on foot, I was turned back by rain only twice.

I also enjoyed the sight lines of London, particular these neighborhood with their late 19th Century/ early 20th Century homogenous blocks of buildings (with the occasional modern block punched in to remind us of the bombs of World War II if it was a 1950s building or of the modern boom if it was of 1990s vintage). Compared to New York the sky really opens up. Indeed, as I noticed and as you see above you get these great V-shaped slices of the sky. Early in my stay, I had a plan to take a picture of the sky everyday. It would be my diary of London. It didn't happen, but I still like the idea.

Finally this picture captures another feature of London, at least last year (don't know how it is now): constant construction. Everywhere you looked you could see these great cranes hovering over the city, like an alien invasion tearing away it.

BB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely...thanks for sharing. i enjoy my walks as well...no one touch my saturday walks to the and from the library....although i never thought to take a photo...maybe i will one day...

enjoy your weekend...

nancyx

RD said...

Nancy - Look forward to a picture sometime! When they first came out I never thought I would need or want a cellphone camera... Now I use them often. Low quality, but great fun as quick snaps.... BB

Anonymous said...

true....i was sorta against the cellphone camera...although i took some great pictures in paris...ok, i will do the same in montréal....;)
nancy

Claire said...

I love that aspect too - when I'm walking round my 'hood I'll suddenly get a glimpse of canary wharf rising up or the millenium wheel in the distance. It's good to look up sometimes!

RD said...

Nancy - Look forward to some Montreal pics!

Lola - Indeed, I always enjoying look up as I walk, but then of course need to remind myself to look down as well lest I step in something unfortunate...

BB

Related Posts with Thumbnails